Lecture 19: Consumer Conerns about Foods & Water (Food Safety)
Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy
Foundations of Nutrition Science, Fall 2012
D. McKay, PhD, FACN
LECTURE #19: CONSUMER CONCERNS ABOUT FOODS AND WATER (FOOD SAFETY)
- Describe two ways in which foodborne microorganisms can cause illness in the body, and give examples of each, i.e., infection vs. intoxication
- List methods to prevent foodborne illness during food production and service.
- Define HACCP, pasteurization, and food irradiation
- Summarize the 4 components of food safety in the kitchen, i.e., Fight Bac!
- List environmental contaminants in the food supply, and natural toxicants found in foods
- Discuss potential advantages and disadvantages associated with organic foods.
- Discuss common additives in the food supply and their risks and benefits.
- Discuss the risks and benefits of genetically engineered foods.
- Whitney & Rolfes, Chapter 19; Highlight 19