Lecture 17: Lifecycle Nutrition, Part III
Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy
Foundations of Nutrition Science, Fall 2012
D. McKay, PhD, FACN
LECTURE #17: LIFE CYCLE NUTRITION, PART III
- Discuss the importance of physical activity in the later years, and define sarcopenia.
- Summarize the nutrients of concern for aging adults, i.e., identify the nutrients for which there are different requirements in older adults
- Define atrophic gastritis
- Discuss the nutrition recommendations for vision changes that occur with aging.
- Discuss the role of nutrition in the prevention and treatment of arthritic conditions.
- Describe common diseases of the aging brain and the role of nutrition in brain function.
- Outline food-related factors that can predict malnutrition in older adults, i.e., DETERMINE.
- Identify the commonly used drugs that adversely react with nutrients, and explain the potential consequences of these interactions.
- Whitney & Rolfes, Chapter 17; Highlight 17