Lecture 16: Lifecycle Nutrition, Part II
Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy
Foundations of Nutrition Science, Fall 2012
D. McKay, PhD, FACN
LECTURE #16: LIFE CYCLE NUTRITION, PART II
- Discuss how an infant’s calorie needs differ from an adult’s needs.
- Describe how to assess the growth and nutritional status of infants and children
- Discuss the 2 dietary practices that have the most significant effect on an infant's nutritional health, i.e., the milk an infant receives, and the age at which solid foods are introduced
- Describe the incidence of childhood obesity and role of heredity and environmental factors in the development of obesity in children
- Describe the nutritional needs of adolescents.
- Explain how a teenager’s choice of soda over milk or soymilk may jeopardize their nutritional health.
- Discuss the role of childhood obesity in the early development of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Whitney & Rolfes, Chapter 16; Highlight 16