Lecture 15: Lifecycle Nutrition, Part I
Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy
Foundations of Nutrition Science, Fall 2012
D. McKay, PhD, FACN
LECTURE #15: LIFE CYCLE NUTRITION, PART I
- Explain why a nutritionally adequate diet is important long before a pregnancy is established.
- List the stages of prenatal growth and development.
- Define placenta, critical period, NTD, and spina bifida.
- Explain the role of folate during the early stages of fetal development
- Describe the relationship between maternal weight gain during pregnancy and infant birthweight
- Discuss the increased nutrient needs of the mother during pregnancy including total calories and specific micronutrients required for blood production, cell growth, and bone development.
- Discuss the need for additional calories and fluids during lactation, and list the habits that are incompatible with lactation.
- Define fetal alcohol syndrome.
- Whitney & Rolfes, Chapter 15; Highlight 15
- Effects of Nutrient Deficiencies During Pregnancy (handout)