Readings: Session 10
- National Research Council. Managing Global Genetic Resources: The U.S. National Plant Germplasm System. Chapter 1. Managing crop genetic resources. 1991.
- Busch, L. et al. Making Nature Shaping Culture: Plant Biodiversity in Global Context. Chap 6. The view from the grass roots. 1995.
The U.S.National Plant Germplasm System
- What are the different uses of germplasm conservation?
- What is the most common method of germplasm preservation?
- Which are some of the biotechnological techniques that help in germplasm preservation?
- What are the elements of a germplasm conservation program?
- How effectively is the conserved germplasm used by the plant breeders in the US?
- How does agriculture affect genetic diversity?
Making Nature Shaping Culture: Plant Biodiversity in Global Context
- What are the impressions that can be distilled as we compare the different grass roots experiences for genetic diversity conservation with reference to
- Trigger point for activity initiation
- Major themes that showcase the importance of genetic diversity
- Involving other actors in the activity
- Organizational structure
- Accessing and sharing knowledge