Pillar of Sand: Can the Irrigation Miracle Last? Chap. 9, Thinking Big About Small- Scale Irrigation, pp.201-227 and Chap. 10. The Players and the Rules, pp.228-253, Sandra Postel. (1999).
A New Era for Irrigation, Chap. 6. Future Directions, pp. 169-180, National Research Council (1996).
Pillar of Sand: Can the Irrigation Miracle Last
- How does the author link small-scale irrigation development and enhancement of food security?
- What are the important factors that influence adoption of technology by poor farmers?
- What factors contributed to the success of the treadle pump?
- What factors impede adoption of treadle pump technology by farmers?
- What are the barriers for development of large irrigation projects in Africa?
- Do traditional systems of irrigation matter in the present day context?
- Can there by a confluence of traditional irrigation / rain water harvesting methods and modern technology?
- What is an important non-technological factor in relation to the success of the traditional irrigation or water harvesting practices?
- What problems plague large scale irrigation projects?
- Why would it be difficult to price surface irrigation water in developing countries?
- How can a farmer in the U.S. make use of the water market?
- What is the major trend in managing irrigation projects in developing countries?
- What is the outline of the author’s plan for ground water management?
A New Era for Irrigation
- What factors influence the future of irrigation in the U.S.?
- How will these affect the American farmer?
- What major change in the farming structure is expected because of these factors?
- What major shifts in irrigation related public policy is expected?
- How is the term “irrigation” redefined to suit the present day context?
- What ideas do the authors put forward to manage irrigation demand in urban areas?
- What are the driving forces for modern irrigation technology innovation and adoption?
- What factors constrain adoption of these technologies? How can these be overcome?
- Why is irrigation management at watershed levels important?
Crops and Drops, Making the Best Use of Water for Agriculture
- How much of the water withdrawn for agriculture, domestic and industrial purposes is actually consumed?
- What are the criteria used for identifying water stressed countries?
- What is the reason for the drying up of the several large rivers (e.g., Yellow River of China) before they reach the sea?
- What is the current irrigation efficiency of the world?
- What is the trend of natural disaster occurrence in the world with reference to time?
- What type of natural disaster has affected the maximum people and caused the maximum loss in recent years?
- What are the major reasons for increased flooding?
- What strategies will help in meeting the future world food demand?
- How much do rainfed and irrigation agriculture contribute to world food production?
- The expected increase in water withdrawal for agriculture in 2030 is low compared to the expected increase in irrigated area. Why?
- What are the key factors in maximizing agricultural output per unit of water?
- What are the key issues to be borne in mind when involving people in water management?
- What are the key policies required for increasing water productivity?