Sustainable Agriculture Systems. Chap. 2( part): Water Relationship in a sustainable agriculture system. E.John Sadler and Neil C Turner. (1994)
Drought follows the Plow: Cultivating Marginal Areas. Drought, desertification and food production. Michael H Glantz (1994)
Soils in Our Environment. Chap. 15: Water resources and irrigation, pp. 450-478. Raymond Miller and Duane Gardiner. (2001).
Water Relationship in a Sustainable Agriculture System
- What is the role of water in agriculture?
- What are the commonly practiced water conservation measures in agriculture?
- What are the purposes of fallowing?
Drought follows the plow – cultivating marginal areas
- What is the relationship between drought and desertification?
- There is a close link between inappropriate land use practices and occurrence of drought / desertification. What factors lead to inappropriate land use practices?
- Describe the influence of technology on drought and desertification.
Water Resources and Irrigation
- What is the proportion of the water requirement in the US that is met from surface water and ground water sources, respectively?
- What are the factors that influence ground water recharge?
- What is the importance of intermediate vadose zone?
- How are SAR and EC important in relation to water infiltration into soils?
- What are some of the important factors to be considered while planning irrigation?
- Under what kind of soils is the proportion of the available water the highest?
What is drought? Understanding and defining drought http://drought.unl.edu/whatis/concept.htm